Thursday, May 29, 2014

Life (and Death) Get In The Way

It is perhaps fitting that the San-Ship album touches upon the darkness that one can experience in life.  After all, it was the untimely death of my kid brother that sparked the inspiration to do this album in the first place. And the darkness continues...

On May 1, 2014, the body of a dear, dear friend was found.  She committed suicide after a prolonged bout of severe depression.  And just last week, an uncle of mine passed away.  He had been ill for several years and finally his heart said "no more."

There is never a "good" time to lose someone you care about but these two deaths, particularly of my friend came at a real bad time.  For the last couple of months I had been exceedingly busy with my law practice. But also, I had been in the process of some major studio upgrades.  It's still a work in progress but it is coming along.

Here's the new mixer in its console home.



There's still a lot to do with the work area including installation of a side car rack and customizing the console desk with a rack bay to the left of the mixer.  And then there is sound treatment/isolation to as well as painting.  I can still work on the album doing all of this but what was hard before is now very hard.

But the studio upgrade situation is now a little bittersweet.  I wanted my departed friend to share in the joy of having effectively a new creative space to work my muse.  But it was not to come to pass.

In any case, I am now shooting for a September 30th release date.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment